Unreasonable discussions? Unsolved problems? Elephants in the room?
How can you improve communication issues?
Try this exercise in a quiet room:
- Arrange three chairs in a group
- Sit in chair 1 and take a moment to imagine your colleague in chair 2
- Say out loud what you think about the situation
- Now move to chair 2
- Say what they are likely to respond with
- Now sit in chair 3 – observing 1 and 2
- Can you see both perspectives? Notice the truths behind both points of view
- Now move chair 3 further away and think about the whole company
- What’s important for the good of everyone?
Write down anything you’ve noticed and remember it for your next “live” discussion.
It just might help.